15.2.11

you got THAT from WHERE?

(currently listening to: sweat by snoop dogg)

Dear baby dinosaurs,

Thanks for tuning in again. I decided to stop telling you what I'm going to write about next, because we all know that will never happen. :) This time, the fickle chicken will be telling you why to shop at places like goodwill, salvation army, and other such stores.

Why? Because I've been doing community service at goodwill (we won't discuss why) and it's got me thinking.

First of all, the purpose of these stores is to provide people with jobs, clothes, and other necessities. In fact, Goodwill's motto is "we put people to work." Before even doing service with Goodwill, I shopped there. My favorite pink granny sweater is from there! And now that I'm there all the time sorting through clothes, I've been coming across some pretty cute stuff. Some of it is even brand new!

Since people don't like reading paragraphs of nothing, here is a list of reasons to shop at Goodwill and the like:

it helps you as a consumer:
bottom line, the clothes are cheap. if you really spend some time and rummage through it all you will come out with some great finds.

it helps you as a donor:
your house is less cluttered! making donations is sooo easy! just bag your stuff up, and pull around to their donation center. everything is sorted through and they'll accept donations of almost any kind. stuf they don't sell is sent to homeless shelters and the like.

it helps the environment:
all the clothes are used and the hangers are recycled. no new hangers are being made, no fancy labels or tags, nothing is actually having to be produced, so we're not wasting resources!

it provides people with jobs:
people who may not have the credentials to get a fantastic job can work at these stores. everyone needs a job. hands down.




Okay, I know some people can't help but think, "ewww. used clothes?!!?! that is sooo beneath me!" Shut up and give it a try. You can go home and wash every article of clothing a billion times if it makes you feel better. And if something is too big, you can always get it tailored to fit, or do like I do and cut it up and tie it to fit. :) Just go give it a shot!

Stay fickle,

-the fickle chicken.

2 comments:

  1. well thanks alot for making me want to go to Goodwill and i am stuck in S-town...i LoVe shopping at those places. there is just something deeply satisfying about finding something you love that is used and cheap. it's one of my few thrills in life, beside lighting candles and using homemade soaps and sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's great! hey if you go to lubbock, my mother makes a great wingman for shopping at goodwill! :)

    ReplyDelete