3.3.11

getting good.

(currently listening to: did it on em by nicki minaj)

Greetings Earthlings,

Thanks again for tuning in to my world for a second.

After reading every 1000 awesome things blog post, I already felt like a better writer. This Neil fellow utilizes every element of writing you learned back in 8th grade English. You know, all that crap you can't even pronounce, similes, metaphors, onomatopoeias, hyperboles, alliterations. All that figurative language we may have all forgotten over the years. Then, I realized that in order to be good at something you have to surround yourself by people who are good at that something.

I'll tell you a few of my own personal stories, then you should all go find people who inspire you to be good at things you want to be good at!

dance
Long ago, I was that awkward ballerina girl on stage at the end of year recital who cried on stage and had no rhythm or flexibility. But all my life, even to this day, all I wanted to do is dance! So I begged and begged, and finally my parents let me go to an intensive at  TCU, and it was like suddenly I was an amazing dancer. For two weeks straight I was in studios eight hours a day with girls who meant business about dance. I learned so much just by being around people who shared my passion, and it made me grow as a dancer more than I ever would have imagined. Now, obviously I'm not part of an amazing company. I don't even dance anymore, but it will always be my passion and I will always be thankful for the inspiration I came across that summer!

cooking
Now here is something I am NOT good at. All my life I was so busy between dance classes, play practice, band rehearsal, and piano lessons that I never took the time out to watch my mother cook. Now I live on my own and the kitchen is a foreign place. Learn while you can, brothers and sisters, or else you're stuck eating fast food for LIFE. :)

hair
Being a hair stylist is not my life long dream. Being a hair stylist is what I went to school for. And I'm also pretty good at it. At least I can appreciate the fact that I'm pretty good at it. Especially since this internship... I haven't actually done any one's hair in the salon yet, but I do a hell of a lot of shampooing, blow drying, and shadowing. I watch every stylist all day every day, and I learn so much. I know that by the time I get on the floor and start taking clients, I will be a 100% better hair stylist than when I graduated school. Internships are there for a reason, people. Take advantage.

college
I surrounded myself by people who slept all day, stayed awake all night, and gave two shits about their education. I failed miserably. Now, I have all these friends that go to UT and do their homework and go to class religiously. They all inspire me more than they probably know. And now that I surround myself with them, I have instilled this thought in my head: "I can do this. Going to college is not impossible." I can tell you this, lovers, I will go back to college. And I will succeed in something that I love.



So, mates, go forth and watch people. Surround yourself by greatness, and you, too, could be great at something. I'm not saying natural talent doesn't exist. I mean shit, I have taught myself piano for 13 years and can read just about any piece of sheet music you put in front of me. But, like I said, dancing was my passion, not piano... I had to really work to get good at it. And hair is my career... if I want money I'm going to have to get good at it somehow.

xoxo,

-the fickle chicken.
p.s. if you haven't already, please vote on the poll to the left.
 i want to do a post based on everyones answers!
 thanks for reading, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment